Saturday, December 27, 2014

Bigot and Its Definition

I've noticed nowadays that so many people throw the word "bigot" around so often to the point that when an actual act of bigotry has been done, people question if the person is exaggerating the truth.

So here I am! Trying to fix up this problem of the word "bigotry" being used (even though most of humanity will probably not listen to me...). But for those of you who hear, please stay and listen!:

Bigotry, by definition, means:

A person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions. (Google)

A person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance. (Mirriam-Webster Dictionary)

So, the real definition of what makes a bigot a bigot is the fact that he/she is intolerant of others' viewpoints or otherwise hates and is very, very intolerant towards a particular group. So what many people call out as "bigotry" isn't really "bigotry". What the people's viewpoint of the word is this:

Bigotry means anyone who disagrees with this particular opinion.

That has clearly strayed away from the true meaning of it.

Take me in two different lights for example:

I am Ximena, and I am against gay marriage. (Opinion)

I am Ximena, and I am for gay marriage. (Opinion)

Now let's see both of me in the real definition of bigotry:

I am Ximena, and I am against gay marriage and I will never tolerate gays. I f***ing hate them! They are all going to hell and I will never help a gay no matter what! (Bigoted version)

I am Ximena, and I am for gay marriage and I will not tolerate the opinion of those who disagree with me. Their opinions are so f***ed up. They say I'm going to hell for promoting love?! MWAHAHAHA I'm going to show them what it means to be hated. (Bigoted version)

In both versions, both are examples of bigots. Both can transform into acts of bigotry.

Granted, there are cases of rebellion just to prove your loyalty to your opinion nevertheless. Like when Arizona said it was OK to refuse gays service and somebody decided to protest against that by putting up a sign saying "We hold the right to refuse service to legislators." (I agreed with them! I don't care that I'm against gay marriage, I'd still serve a gay couple just like I serve everybody else.) Or when a gay couple walks into a Catholic Church and asks to be married yet the priest says "No" because of his religious beliefs (I also agree with this because of my own personal beliefs).

These are examples of non-bigoted ways of proving that you are devoted to your opinion. Because having an opinion doesn't mean you are bigoted. What you do with your opinion can transform you from a person with an opinion to a person filled with hatred.

I've met bigoted people from both sides of this spectrum. One is so devoted to her own opinion that gay marriage is OK to the point she became completely intolerant of another's viewpoint and wanted to do all sorts of, ah, hateful things towards others who disagreed with her. On the other hand, I know another person who is completely against gay marriage and is so against gays to the point she believes all of them are going to hell. And she refuses to listen to my viewpoint that not all gays go to hell, just like not all straights go to heaven, and she refuses to even speak with a gay. She'd rather they all suffer in hell.

I have seen bigotry and I have seen opinions. Learn the difference between both and then we can all learn to listen to each other's opinions better. (But if there's actual bigotry going on, then we have the right to react immediately! But, please, learn the difference first before launching out the word "bigot".)

All right, thanks for reading and have a great day!

God bless,
Ximena

No comments:

Post a Comment